Podcast transcripts are text versions of your audio or video podcasts. There is a notion that podcasters should only be focused on audio content. Why should podcasters care about text in the form of podcast transcripts and podcast show notes? A one-hour podcast can take 3-5 hours of typing to be fully transcribed. Are podcast transcripts worth all the “hassle”? We definitely think so.
Why are podcast transcripts important?
- Some people have hearing problems, who you can reach by having textual forms of your episodes.
- There are people who can consume information better when reading than when listening or watching videos.
- Texts contribute to better SEO for your podcast. Audio content is not searchable yet, text is still the king of search.
- Your audience can more easily share your content by quoting parts of podcast transcripts.
- You can more easily re-purpose your podcast transcripts into a blog or an e-book.
How can you have your podcast transcribed?
- Do the transcript yourself.
- This is recommended for podcasters who read from a prepared script. However, if you’re not one of those podcasters, unfortunately, you would have to listen to your podcast and type the transcript yourself.
- Use automatic transcription tools online.
- The only caveat with using automatic transcription tools is that this technology is still very new, and thus accuracy cannot be 100% trusted yet. There’s a risk of having errors on spelling, grammar, and punctuation if you rely on automated transcripts.
- Hire someone to do it for you.
- There are many online platforms that can assist you in looking for freelancers. You can hire freelancers from Fiverr and Upwork, and pay them a rate that both of you agree on. There are also transcription companies which you can hire specifically for this job. Because transcriptions are manually done by people, you can feel more secure in terms of your podcast transcripts’ accuracy.
How can you make use of your podcast transcripts?
The answer to this question depends on what your goals are. If your goal is to increase traffic to your website, then you would want to upload the whole podcast transcript on your website.
On the other hand, if you want to build your email list, you can offer your podcast transcript for free in exchange for your audience’s email address.
You can also offer your podcast transcripts as a paid download or as a premium membership perk. This is one effective way to make money podcasting.
While podcast transcripts are not a requirement for podcasters, the benefits of podcast transcripts are countless! They just require a bit more time, money, and effort, but podcast transcripts surely are worth the investment!